What is a Project?
The Definition of a Project
A project is a co-ordinated set of tasks, which together create a defined new
product, process, or service, within a constrained time and resource budget.
In this lecture, we'll explore the definition of a project, and what it means. Below the video, you'll find a downloadable handout.
This is the same video as appears in The Project Manager's Skills Mastery Program, and a slightly fuller account than a similar one that appears in The Project Manager's Fast Start Program
Is it a Project or Not? Ten Typical Features of a Project
- Defined outcome, product, or thing to be produced
- New, novel, unfamiliar or innovative – needs creative approaches
- Clear start date
- Clear finish date
- Many tasks to be co-ordinated
- Limited resources and budget
- Different people to get involved
- Creates change
- Uncertainty about process or outcomes
- Complex interdependencies among project elements or between the project and other activities
Has what you need to do got many of these features? If it has: call it a project.